Netspar awards five prizes of each € 3,000 for outstanding theses related to the financing of old age and aging, in the following categories:
- Bachelor thesis: 1 Award;
- (Research) Master thesis: 2 Awards;
- PhD thesis (dissertation): 1 Award;
- Final assignment Netspar TIAS Academy: 1 Award.
UWV (Dutch Employee Insurance Agency) sponsors the Bachelor Award and one of the (Research) Master’s Awards, for theses with high relevance for the current pension debate.
You can submit your thesis here.
More information about Thesis Awards
Importance of aging issues
By the year 2050, nearly 35% of the European population will be aged 60 and over. The aging issue raises numerous questions. In particular with the current financial crisis. For example:
- How do we maintain a sustainable pension system?
- How do people prepare for their old age, and what is the most effective way to help people to make right choices?
- How should pension funds and insurance companies invest their capital and deal with risks in the interest of their participants and clients?
- What are the consequences of increasing retirement age for older workers and employment policies?
- What is the relationship between pensions and the needs for housing and long term care of elderly people?
Conditions and procedures
To enter the competition and be eligible for these Netspar prizes, the following conditions and guidelines are important:
- Students enrolled in any of the educational programs offered by universities worldwide may participate;
- The thesis/dissertation topic should be related to Netspar’s research program;
- The thesis/dissertation can either be based on academic literature or can be written during an internship at one of Netspar’s partners;
- The thesis/dissertation has to be defended between October 15, 2016 and October 16, 2017;
- The criteria to select winners are:
- Academic quality;
- Relevance for Netspar’s research program;
- Originality and presentation;
- For the UWV Awards societal relevance and/or added value for the current policy debate, is an additional criterion.
- The final submission date for nominations is October 16, 2017 at 12.00hrs;
- The Editorial Board of Netspar selects the winners.
The awards will be presented at the Netspar International Pension Workshop in January 2018.
For any remaining questions, please contact Joost van Dun.
You can find our former Netspar Thesis Winners here.